The Clinical Laboratory Services Department provides anatomical pathology and clinical laboratory medicine services to Ray County Hospital and Healthcare and the surrounding community. The department enables healthcare professionals to accurately diagnose patient’s conditions and to monitor progress while under therapy. Laboratory services are provided to patients ranging from newborn through children, adolescents, adults and geriatric age groups.
Laboratory evaluation of specimens is necessary to enable physicians caring for patients to accurately diagnose patient conditions and monitor their progress while under therapy. The Laboratory provides test turnaround times suitable to the clinical situation in which the tests are requested. STAT testing is reported within one hour of receipt into lab, ASAP testing is reported within the same shift of request and routine testing is reported daily or in cases of esoteric testing, at a frequency which is appropriate to the test modality. Routine testing is performed in the Clinical Laboratory, while testing requiring technology not available within the hospital is forwarded to LabCorp.
Technical services provided include:
- Chemistry – Examines body fluid specimens for the body’s metabolic functions, disease markers and drug monitoring.
- Hematology – Examines blood and body fluid specimens to determine the type and number of blood cells (RBC, WBC and platelets); also determines ability of blood to clot.
- Coagulation – Examines blood and determines ability of blood to clot.
- Urinalysis – Examines urine to determine body’s metabolic functions, kidney function, disease markers and drug monitoring.
- Blood Bank – Identified blood types (ABO and Rh) and performs tests to determine compatibility of blood for transfusion.
- Microbiology – Tests specimens to isolate infecting agents such as bacteria, fungus, molds and parasites; exposes infectious agents to a variety of antibiotics to determine effective drugs for treatment.
- Serology – Tests blood specimens and body fluids to detect exposure to infectious and disease processes such as hepatitis, syphilis, arthritis, lupus and others; including rapid testing for Influenza, Mono, Covid and Streptococcus.
- Phlebotomy – Collection of blood and body fluids for processing/testing
- (Pathology, Cytology, and Mycology specimens are forwarded to LabCorp)
The Laboratory is staffed by a team of skilled technical and support personnel. Laboratory personnel include managers, certified medical technologists, certified medical laboratory technicians, and phlebotomists. The complexity of testing is waived, moderate and high complexity as defined by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 (CLIA ’88). Credentialing and certification of technical personnel by ASCP, NCA, and AAB. Accreditation follows federal, state and local regulations.
Logistical Services provided include: Specimen procurement, Specimen processing, Result reporting, and Quality control activities.
- Outpatient hours:
- 7:00 am – 7:00 pm M-F
- 7:00 am-1:00 pm Saturday
- Available 24/7 for Emergency Services
- Questions: Call 816-470-5432, Ext. 211 for assistance
What Should I Bring?
- Insurance card(s) and current driver’s license or identification card
- Written order or request from your doctor